Somebody's got to do it!

Somebody's got to do it!
Somebody's got to do it!

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What We Each Need



I cringe at the poor feelings I think you have about me.
I want your esteem to be as always.
Yet, it appears that you see me as flawed.
Look into my heart.
Am I a better or a worse man than I ever was?

I came to this spot trying to be unafraid of the truth.
I decided that it was the most important thing to me.
I realize that sometimes the truth isn't what we want to hear.
However, it is what I needed to hear.
I could not live with myself if I knew I had ignored it.

Now, I've come to this point in my life
Where I cannot regress 
From the things that I know.
Can you fault me for being brutally honest within myself?
Are you aware of what pain this search brought me?

Compassion and understanding are what each person seeks.
As we give, hopefully we will each receive.
It is easier to marginalize and see other people as less-than-human
Than it is to seek to understand what needs they have that are not being met.
Don’t we have a duty to love our neighbors as ourselves?

Are we Levites or Samaritans?
When we see the man who fell among thieves 
Do we travel on the far side of the road?
Is it easier to say that a man deserves his fate
Than to help him see beyond it?

If I’m a better person because of my search, 
Then be happy for me.
If I’m worse, please be patient with me.
I’ll try and give you the same leeway
And see you are a work in progress too.

_________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment